Assisted living, assistive devices, property alterations

Assisted living 

Workers’ compensation insurance compensates for additional costs arising from assisted living in accordance with the statutory compensation rate. Compensation will not be paid above the statutory rate for any costs incurred by assisted living. 

Compensation for additional cost arising from assisted living is paid to the municipality offering the facility, provided that the municipality has issued a decision on assisted living. The injured person is paid care allowance to compensate for the costs arising from the need to employ outside help. 

Amounts for assisted living 

Assistive devices 

Workers’ compensation insurance may compensate for assistive devices which a severely injured person necessarily requires to move around and in activities of daily living at home and in leisure time. Such aids may include alterations and additional equipment required for the car, and sports-specific assistive devices for exercising.  

Property alterations 

A person who has been severely injured in an occupational accident may be able to live independently, provided that alterations are made to his or her home. Such alterations include the widening of doors and alterations to the kitchen and bathrooms. 

Workers’ compensation insurance compensates for the necessary alterations to the property required by a severely injured person due to the injury and the subsequent functional limitation. Ordinary modernisation related to the standard of living is not compensable. The requirement for alterations must arise from the compensable claim event and the functional limitations caused by the injury.  

Guideline for the rehabilitation of functional ability was published in January 2016.

For further information on rehabilitation, please also visit the website of the Insurance Rehabilitation Association.

Modified 04.08.2016