Image -

Compensation for rehabilitation

Workers’ compensation insurance compensates for the injured person’s rehabilitation if the injured person’s ability to work or functional ability or opportunities for earning a living have deteriorated or if it is probable that they could deteriorate later materially.

For further information on rehabilitation, please also visit the website of the Insurance Rehabilitation Association.


The workers’ compensation insurance compensates for reasonable costs of vocational rehabilitation involving measures which help the injured person continue in his or her previous work or occupation, or to transfer to new work or an occupation which can become his or her main source of earnings.

Vocational rehabilitation measures:

  • investigations to establish the need and opportunities for rehabilitation;
  • work and training trials;
  • job coaching;
  • education and training appropriate for the work or occupation;
  • grant or interest-free loan for the acquisition of equipment and machinery and the creation or modification of the injured person’s own business in order to support the ability to pursue a trade or occupation;
  • assistive devices and equipment for the use of the injured person and similar structures necessary for performing work assignments; and
  • grant or interest-free loan to acquire a vehicle for commuting between home and work, if the vehicle is necessary due to the limited ability to use public transport as a result of the injury or illness.

An injured person who trains for a new job or occupation is compensated for costs arising from the studies and study equipment under government decree (1467/2015) (in Finnish)

Guideline for the vocational rehabilitation compensation system (Tako’s guideline)

For further information on rehabilitation, please also visit the website of the Insurance Rehabilitation Association.

Workers’ compensation insurance compensates for additional costs arising from assisted living in accordance with the statutory compensation rate. Compensation will not be paid above the statutory rate for any costs incurred by assisted living.

Compensation for additional cost arising from assisted living is paid to the municipality offering the facility, provided that the municipality has issued a decision on assisted living. The injured person is paid care allowance to compensate for the costs arising from the need to employ outside help.

Amounts for assisted living (in Finnish)

Workers’ compensation insurance may compensate for assistive devices which a severely injured person necessarily requires to move around and in activities of daily living at home and in leisure time. Such aids may include alterations and additional equipment required for the car, and sports-specific assistive devices for exercising.  

A person who has been severely injured in an occupational accident may be able to live independently, provided that alterations are made to his or her home. Such alterations include the widening of doors and alterations to the kitchen and bathrooms.

Workers’ compensation insurance compensates for the necessary alterations to the property required by a severely injured person due to the injury and the subsequent functional limitation. Ordinary modernisation related to the standard of living is not compensable. The requirement for alterations must arise from the compensable claim event and the functional limitations caused by the injury.

Guideline for the rehabilitation of functional ability was published in January 2016.

For further information on rehabilitation, please also visit the website of the Insurance Rehabilitation Association.

Persons who have a severe visual, hearing or speech impediment need an interpreter. Interpreting services are provided by the Social Insurance Institution of Finland under the Act on interpretation services for persons with disabilities (133/2010) (in Finnish) and other bodies.

Workers’ compensation insurance compensates for the interpreting services up to the amount which the Social Insurance Institution of Finland provides under the Act on interpretation services for persons with disabilities.

Adaptation training refers to the guidance and training given to the injured person and his or her family after the injury. Training courses are held by disability organisations and rehabilitation providers.

Compensation for adaptation training can be paid under workers’ compensation insurance on case-by-case basis.

A family member of the injured person is compensated for his or her necessary travel and accommodation costs and loss of earnings incurred in joining the injured person for the adjustment training. The injured person’s adaptation training is compensable as medical care.

Travel and accommodation expenses during rehabilitation

The necessary travel and accommodation expenses arising from rehabilitation are compensable under workers’ compensation insurance.

As a rule, travel expenses are compensable in accordance with the cost of using public transport.

If a private car is used for the journey, the injured person is paid compensation as travel costs for half of the tax-free mileage allowance annually confirmed by the Tax Administration.

Compensable travel expenses can arise for example when, due to the long distance, the injured person must arrive at the location of the rehabilitation provider a day before the treatment.

Compensation is paid for the travel and accommodation expenses incurred by an escort if the escort was necessary during the journey. A family member joining in with the adaptation training will be paid compensation for the necessary travel expenses.

Further provisions on compensation for travel expenses arising from studies compensable as vocational rehabilitation are given in a government degree (1467/2015) (in Finnish).

Compensations for medical care also include compensation for travel and accommodation expenses.

Compensation for travel and accommodation expenses must be applied separately by providing the insurance company with information about the expenses incurred. Compensation must be applied within one year after the costs were incurred.


Worker's compensation and insurance
Information service and publications
Finnish Workers' Compensation Center