Compensation for other costs

Workers’ compensation insurance also covers:

  • travel and accommodation expenses related to medical care,
  • increased need for care, assistance, supervision or guidance
  • wear and tear of clothing
  • increased housekeeping costs,
  • certain types of property damage caused by the incident

Travel and accommodation expenses for medical care

The necessary travel and accommodation expenses arising from medical care are compensable under workers’ compensation insurance. Compensation must be claimed within one year after the costs were incurred.

Travel expenses to the nearest care provider offering the necessary care are compensable. When the insurance company issues a payment commitment, such as for a surgery to be carried out by a certain care provider, the travel expenses to this care provider are covered.

As a rule, travel expenses are compensable in accordance with the cost of using public transport. If a private car is used for the journey, the injured person is paid compensation as travel costs for half of the tax-free mileage allowance annually confirmed by the Tax Administration.

Compensable travel expenses can arise, for example, when, due to the long distance, the employee must arrive at the location of the care provider a day before treatment.

Compensation is paid for the travel and accommodation expenses incurred by an escort if an escort was necessary during the journey.

Increased need for care, assistance, supervision or guidance

The insurance pays a care allowance if the injury or illness reduces the employee to such a state of helplessness that s/he cannot manage without another person’s help.

The Workers’ Compensation Act providers for three care allowance categories. The description of the injury or illness determines the allowance category.

Costs arising from the employment of a personal assistant are not compensable, as the compensation is paid as a care allowance. The allowance is a tax-exempt compensation.

Care allowance is, however, not paid for a period during which the employee is treated in a hospital or other institution.

Care allowance amounts

Wear and tear of clothing

Clothing supplement is paid under workers’ compensation insurance if, due to the compensable claim event, the injured person uses a prosthesis or support bandage which causes exceptional wear and tear on clothing. The clothing supplement can be paid if the injured person uses the assistive device for a minimum of three months.

The Workers’ Compensation Act specifies two categories of clothing supplement. The payment category depends on the type of assistive device used. The clothing supplement is a tax-exempt compensation.

Amounts of clothing supplement

Additional housekeeping costs

Housekeeping refers to cleaning, laundry, childcare, grocery shopping and similar housekeeping tasks, such as clearing snow in winter. However, walking pets is not included in housekeeping.

Compensation is paid if the family cannot manage the household themselves. Outside help is covered only if the injured person does not have a family, or the children are too young to participate in housekeeping tasks. Compensation may be paid when, for example, a single parent is hospitalised due to an accidental injury and requires outside assistance. Another possible situation is when a person living alone cannot clean the house due to an injury.

Compensation for housekeeping costs may be paid for up to one year after the claim event. Only necessary and reasonable costs are covered. This means tasks such as basic cleaning, where the amount of compensation is determined in accordance with the rate specified by local authorities.

An injured person who needs personal assistance due to injury or illness, e.g. help with washing and mobility, is entitled to a care allowance.

Compensation must be claimed from the insurance company within one year after the costs have been incurred. The claim application must include proof of the incurred costs.

Certain types of property damage caused by the incident

The insurance covers the following property damaged in an occupational accident:

  • eyeglasses;
  • hearing aids;
  • dentures;
  • orthopaedic dressings and back braces; and
  • artificial limbs, joints or organs.

Compensation is paid if the property was damaged during a covered claim event: in other words, in the incident that caused the injury or illness.

The insurance also covers clothing and rings damaged in the course of providing medical care. Compensation is paid if the damage has been mentioned in the medical report.

Compensation must be claimed from the insurance company within one year after the costs have been incurred. When claiming compensation, the employee must provide proof of the incurred costs.

Other property damaged in an occupational accident, such as a mobile phone, bicycle or clothing, are not covered.